“She was the primeval ocean and she emerged as herself of herself and all has come forth through and from her. She is self existent, and her nature is secret, a mystery to all.”—Egyptian Book of the Dead
i ka leo mai pa‘a i ka leo - It’s the voice, don’t hold back the voice
This ‘ōlelo no‘eau (Hawaiian saying) is from the ‘oli that is chanted when accessing Kaho‘olawe. It is the saying that embodies my classroom vision, and never leaves the whiteboard behind my desk. I am covered with goosebumps as I realize that it aligns perfectly with this opportunity I have been offered to share my students voices with the world.
Can I just get past all these Common Core State Standards and teach this meaningful content already?!?
From the Mississippi Delta, to Detroits 7-mile Road, we are American middle school students with a story to tell. Here we begin to write for our communities and speak for ourselves, to teach,…
I just got notice that I was nominated to partake in this project. I can’t imagine a better opportunity for my students. So often they feel that even though they are so deeply connected to this place, they are so disconnected from elsewhere due to the geographic isolation of Kohala, of Hawai’i….but their voices are waves that may ripple across the Pacific to reach distant shores. My students need their voices to be heard.
After a very hard day this is exactly the news I needed. Refreshed, Re-motivated, Re-inspired.
i don’t think so. but, i forgive you, girl, who tallied stretch marks into reasons why no one should get close. i forgive you, silly girl, sweet breath, decent by default. i forgive you for being afraid. did everything betray you? even the rain you love so much made rust out of your jewellery? i forgive you, soft spoken girl speaking with fake brash voice, fooling no one. i see you, tender even on your hardest days. i forgive you, waiting for him to call, i forgive you, the diets and the cruel friends. especially for that one time you said ‘i fucking give up on love, it’s not worth it, i’d rather be alone forever’. you were just pretending, weren’t you? i know you didn’t mean that. your body, your mouth, your heart, made specifically for loving. sometimes the things we love, will kill us, but weren’t we dying anyway? i forgive you for being something that will eventually die. perishable goods, fading out slowly, little human, i wouldn’t want to be in a world where you don’t exist. - warsan shire
The moment that first beat drops, I feel it. I’m slowly being laid down across a big, white bed with an obscene amount of pillows. There’s a strong hand and wrist gently under the arch of my back and goosebumps create constellations on my inner-thighs. And well…you know the rest.
This is one of those songs that puts you in that mood. It’s that slow, deep, crisp, sensuality that could only flow from Yasiin. You just wanna put it on repeat and feel every inch of it/him… Hmm? Sorry I’m not sorry.
Anyway, I’m always amazed by those certain songs that have the ability to arouse you. Not just sexually, but sensually. On an intellectual, emotional, and physical level. It’s a funny fusion of the three and it does somethin’ serious to the soul. The song permanently etches fantasies in your mind and every time you hear that first chord hit, that hot-and-bothered sensation halts you in your tracks.
- this kitten pawing my lap needs to quit it
- red wine & a cozy sweater
- as a lover I know I’d be excellent at these things; sharing music that coincides with the moment, making breakfast, offering my breasts as the most comfortable pillows, and opening a bottle of wine or whiskey at exactly the right time
- I’m city on the outside, country on the inside
- reading over my student’s quarter 1 reflections (prompt: how have you grown as a student and as a person this quarter?) was so rewarding… I can say with confidence that I am making a difference in their lives
- one of my students, age 11, wrote his reflection in alternating colors and sizes which made me want to drop kick him (half-joking)
- once I looked beyond that bullshit, I read that he’s growing as a person because of my class, that knowing me has made him feel like he can be his “true self”…fuckin a, my heart is so full
- I ate a lot of bacon today…
- breakfast is everything
- I am fuckin Simone Swanson
- I want a big fuckin hug
- good night
5 years ago I got it in my soul that I would, “move to the Big Island one day, get a truck, live on a ranch…and have a beautiful, long-haired, mountain man.” well, that one day is here. 2/4 of my dreams are what I’m living right now, and I’m following my passion for education and doing EXACTLY what I want to do with my life. I can’t even fathom it, I thought these dreams would come so much farther down the line. now I’m not saying life is perfect — even when dreams come true there are still the challenges, but I can honestly say that I am daily becoming exactly the person I’ve always imagined I would be… since the time I was a likkle girl. today, and everyday, I am surrounded by the palpable energy of love in the community I live in, the incredible people in my life, and the sacred land I live with (not on). I’ve found that if you follow your passion, you will find success.
excuse all this positive self-affirmation, but I’m just taking a moment to celebrate. here’s a toast to living one’s dream.
Help us elevate the national conversation around climate change and promote real clean energy solutions. usclimateplan.org
My brother has launched a phenomenal campaign proposing a fresh approach to Obama’s Climate Plan. If you care about this earth that we live WITH and not simply on, take a few minutes to check out what he’s put together.
What is there to do with this powerful, undeniable chemistry that no environment can keep controlled?
In my memory, we met when I was 18. You claim that we met far before then, at 15. Last night, on our second bottle of wine, you recounted the first time we met in detail that astounded me — but I still can’t recall it. I wonder why you can. I still remember that, at 18, you were the first person to ever ask me on a date….granted, it was to go pig hunting (lol). I remember that, at 18, you were the first person to get under my skin in that wonderfully frustrating way. In your words, I love you by day and love/hate you by night. I especially love/hated you that night when you placed me on top of the pool table and you finally got my lips to submit to the kiss you’d been incessantly trying to plant on me. Our nicknames for each other (that we still use) make me giggle, a lot — they couldn’t be more fitting. We had a behind-the-scenes thing back then…or at least we thought we did. I learned last night that everyone could feel what was between us that summer, 5 years ago. I learned last night that everyone can still feel what’s between us, 5 years later.
When this kinda pull between beings exists in nature it needs to be dealt with, but you’re with her and I respect that. We live on the same island now, we’ll have to practice self-control. One day we’ll play with the chemistry and conduct this science experiment, but for now we’ll just have to react independently.
I know many, many forms of love and I have no shortage of love in my life — but there is a deep, intimate, soul-to-soul love that I have never shared with another. no one has even come close to loving me in that way…maybe I’m unlovable like that or maybe I’ve just never let anyone come that close
….I guess I’m just thinking out loud, spewing mundane musings onto your screens, carry on.
- spilled red wine all over my student’s work….that’ll be fun to explain to a 6th grader
- kept drinking the wine, minimal fucks given, I’ll probably get a teacher-of-the-year award
- pretty sure my dryer is going to go up in flames soon…I’m genuinely afraid of this
- I constantly feel like I don’t know what the fuck I’m doing with this whole teaching thing…
- but I’m so in love with it anyway
- I gave 2 “character diagram” homework assignments in which they had to use the 5 characterization traits (description, actions, dialogue, inner-monologue, and society’s perspective) to describe a character of their choice and themselves…today a student showed me his homework to “see if it was alright” and he had done a character diagram of me. I’ll cut this kinda short but his physical description made me giggle, a lot, he wrote, “she’s a grown woman (lulz) who wears her long, brown hair in a bundle and she wears lots of gold.” ACCURATE. for the society section it said, “everyone can tell how much she cares about her students”…and that hit me right in the heart. he gets me.
- I may not know what the fuck I’m doing, but my students can feel my love and that’s what I’m here for